Travel health insurance is designed to cover losses arising from sudden and unforeseeable circumstances. Travelling for business or pleasure, travel with the piece of mind that you will be taken care of if any unexpected emergency medical expenses occur. Travel health insurance covers you whether leaving Canada or getting visitors from abroad.
If you plan to travel outside Canada ‒ even for a day in the United States – you should buy travel health insurance before you leave.
Why you should buy travel health insurance
- Your Canadian health insurance may not pay your medical fees while you are outside Canada
- Your provincial or territorial health plan may cover none, or only a small part, of the costs of your medical care abroad. It will never pay your bills up front
- Foreign hospitals can be very expensive and may require immediate cash payment
- In some countries hospitals and clinics will not treat you if you do not have enough insurance or money to pay your bills
- The Government of Canada will not pay your medical bills